Saturday, September 27, 2008

Packing

Packing is such a big deal. I had a great plan originally: I was going to pack two weeks ahead of time, let it sit for a week, and then get everything out again and get rid of some stuff, then pack again. I figured that way, I could pack everything I think I need initially, and then take out a lot of non-essentials the second time. Yes, packing twice sounded like a good plan.

Two Wednesdays ago, I contemplated packing. And I realized: I need nearly everything I'm going to pack! So, to claim that I had started packing, I dumped some stuff that had been sitting in my basement all summer (read: stuff that is non-essential) in a suitcase and called it good.

This Wednesday, I decided to pack all my clothes. I left the clothes I want to take in a suitcase so that I wouldn't get confused and wear them. I discovered that I have quite a surplus of shirts, but I have been wearing the same shorts for three days now.

And I haven't even started on shoes. You think you can make do with just a few pairs of shoes, but really, you can't. I need at least two pairs of tennis shoes, five pairs of dress shoes, and seven pairs of casual shoes. At least! And don't even get me started on purses and bags.

Oh, and what about books? I generally bring a small library of books to school with me, but I'm not sure how that's going to be possible this time. I'll have to leave my cookie cookbook (the British are going to miss out), my Jane Austen collection (which makes no sense to leave behind, I'm going to England!), my Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes...

I can take two 50-pound, 62-inch suitcases, one carry-on suitcase, and one backpack. Please, someone, tell me how I'm supposed to fit my life in those.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, its hard to stay under the 2 50lb bags when you're going to be gone so long! On my way back from Costa Rica, one bage was 49lbs, the other 47lbs! Yikes I just barley made it! Good luck! I'm so excited for you! I hope you have a wonderful and eye-opening experience abroad!

Laura said...

you're so cute, joy marie! i think i'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. good luck packing!!!

Anonymous said...

i think mailing a trunk is sounding better and better! you can also always take more after you come back in Dec...