Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Thanks to the late (great?) George Carlin for that one.

So, let's talk about the weather here where I live.

According to Wikipedia, "England has a temperate climate, with plentiful rainfall all year round, although the seasons are quite variable in temperature. The prevailing wind is from the south-west, bringing mild and wet weather to England regularly from the Atlantic Ocean. Snowfall can occur in winter and early spring, although it is not that common away from high ground."

Just so you know, Oxford is away from high ground. So is London. Nevertheless, last week, Oxford, London, and the rest of Britain experienced THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IN 18 YEARS. I'm sure you've heard about it.

This was quite a big deal. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132144/Its-going-week-Worst-snow-18-years-brings-Britain-slithering-halt--costs-economy-3bn.html (please note that they say Britain comes to a "slithering" halt. What great word choice. Just think of the images that evokes: cars sliding off the road, people slipping on icy sidewalks, snakes on a plane.)

According to The Daily Mail at , this snowstorm cost Britain 3 billion pounds. 6.4 million workers stayed home on February 2, and "London's buses were halted for the first time in living memory - they even continued to run during the Blitz - and the rail network ground to a predictable halt." Heathrow closed both of its runways (snakes on planes, you know), and a shortage of snowplows (which they spell snowploughs) meant that roads were dangerous and sidewalks were sheets of ice.

Now, I saw this snowstorm in Oxford. On February 2, when London was shutting down its buses and the Tube and millions of Britons were enjoying their days at home in front of radiators with cups of Earl Grey and biscuits with blackcurrant jam filling, I was crunching through the inch of snow wondering what the big deal was.

Here's what that "big" storm looked like in Oxford:


And here, to my everlasting joy, is what my neighbor girls did with the snow:


That's right. They made a pirate snowman. I think it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

The big snowstorm didn't hit Oxford until February 5, a Thursday. You could tell it was coming on Wednesday. My rowing team went out to practice on the water, and our boat and paddles iced over as we rowed. It was quite cold. Thursday brought several inches of snow, which made everything look like this:


(PS, this is not my house. I forgot to take a picture of my house.)

And this:


My backyard.

And this:


Making us want to stay in all day like this:


That's Sabrina and Erin.



To the girls in my flat (three of us from Missouri and one of us from Colorado), the four inches of snow in Oxford wasn't a big deal in terms of stopping the world. In Kansas City, every street except N. Tracy would have been cleared and the sidewalks would have been iced or shovelled by 9 am (I say that with much optimism. This is always not true in Kansas City. But hey, when you're away from something, you only remember the good things, right?).

In Oxford, they had no snowploughs. My friend who lives south of Oxford saw some city workers clearing her street by hand: each of them shovelled his own little three-foot-wide strip of road. Where I live, they let the buses pack down tracks for tires. The sidewalks were deathwalks, except where they threw sand (as in, from a beach); then, they were muddy deathwalks.

I complain, but, truly, the snow was beautiful. The Thursday morning after the big snowstorm, my housemate Erin and I woke up at 6:15 and went down to the river (not voluntarily, it's a long story), and we saw the sun rise over brand-new, pristine snow. The sky was still filled with clouds, and so the sunrise reflected these gorgeous pinks and oranges onto the sky over the river. Honestly, beautiful.

Some snow is still here, over a week later. It's been going through a cycle that goes like this: melt, evaporate 5% of condensation, re-freeze; melt, evaporate 5% of condensation, re-freeze; melt...



And that's the weather report from Oxford. Just so you know, this was sort of a quintessentially British post. One of the first things I was told when I arrived here was to converse about weather in order to make friends here. You've heard that the British like to talk about the weather? It's so true.



Coming up next: a post about my housemates.

4 comments:

Laura said...

you crack me up, joy marie! snakes on a plane...ridiculous movie, but good for jokes for many years to come...

Anonymous said...

The snow storm truly sounds like a fun experience you shared with your friends. And fresh snow is always so pretty - especially when you only have to look at it and not go out and live your life in it. ;) As you may know, our weather here vacillates between extremely mild and extremely cold. It will rain, sleet, ice, or snow as it pleases in between the weather extremes (as the "masses" and "fronts" meet each other and create "weather events").

I do want to mention two work-related items. First, I gave my notice and will be going back to the private side as the Marketing Manager for ESS, a civil contractor. This is the industry I worked in before and I feel truly fortunate to be able to get back into it. So I am very excited about the move away from City Hall. Unfortunately, things have gone beyond interesting there!

The second item is that Jackie Burton mentioned that they would love to have you fill in (for pay!) at the Council Office for various people when you are back in KC. Vacations, training, illness, and such. So if that is of interest to you, let Jackie know. Jackie_Burton@kcmo.org. They would be lucky to have you and it would just be when you wanted to do it. It's something to think about. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures on the web link - wow! I miss you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

So, the pirate snowman is RAD and the picture of the bike makes me sad. I spend a lot of my time fixing up people's bikes that were left out in the snow all winter...