Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Expedition to Europe: Italy

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Couldn't resist, sorry. Anyway, when we last left my adventures, I was on my way to meet Jacque in Rome.

I did, in fact, meet up with Jacque (who you will meet in the photo nine photos down). Monday was our first day in Rome. We decided to take the subway to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's; the tube was absolutely insane. When the train finally pulled up, 15 people squeezed into a space large enough for three people. I kid you not. There was no way I could have been pick-pocketed, because no one could move enough.

We finally got off the subway (launched out of the car by people desperate to get some breathing room), and made our way to the Vatican Museum. On the way, we saw six gelato places and decided that gelato was going to be a necessary part of lunch.

I'd never been inside the Vatican Museum before, and I really enjoyed it. Here is one of my favorite things:


That is not a carving: that is a painting painted to look like a carving. How cool is that?

The Vatican has roughly 45 rooms (when I say "roughly," I mean I'm totally making that number up. But there were a lot of rooms), including the Sistine Chapel. Unfortunately, photography was prohibited in the Sistine Chapel, but if you Google Image "Sistine Chapel" you can pretty much see what I saw.

The amount of art in the Vatican Museum borders on overwhelming:


That's just one room, with ceilings, walls, and floors covered in art. There was so much to look at. Most of it, unsurprisingly, was of a religious nature. I enjoyed seeing the different representations of Christ and the Bible and other religious subjects:


After the Vatican Museum, we sunbathed in the Piazza San Pietro for a while, and then we went into St. Peter's Basilica:

St. Peter's pretty much lives up to its hype. It's huge and beautiful and awe-inspiring and solemn and worshipful, all at once. It's historical and religious and political and current, and I just really like it.

Across the road from St. Peter's is the Castle St. Angelo. Romans sort of apologize when they talk about the Castle St. Angelo: "We're sorry, but it's the only castle we have," they seem to be saying, as if they don't have enough other ancient stuff to keep you occupied. My family visited the Castle when we were in Rome in 2004, and I got my picture taken with a performance artist all dressed in white. I decided to do that again:


We then made our way to the Spanish Steps:


The Spanish Steps are a seething mass of humanity. We even saw a wedding party taking pictures.
To round off our Monday, we visited the Piazza del Popolo, the Villa de Medici, the Fountian of Triton, and the Piazza de Republico. I'm not going to lie to you, while those places were neat, I did not take any photos that you can't see via Google Image.

The next day was Tuesday. Tuesday was Colosseum Day:


The Colosseum is such a cool place. We went on a tour with this Italian tour guide who spoke like an ideal Italian tour guide: "This-a statue was-a ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY METERS TALL."
This lady tour guide would deepen her voice and attempt an American accent to emphasize words, which was pretty funny.
Fun fact: the word "Colosseum" does not actually refer to the amphitheater. Instead, it refers to the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY METER TALL bronze-a statue of Nero that used to stand in front of the amphitheater. People called the statue the Colossus, and...well, the rest is history.



That is the inside of the Colosseum. Did I mention it was huge? Well, it is huge, seating about 50,000 people. Before you say, "Well, Joy, Arrowhead Stadium seats 77,038 people [I did not make that number up], and Arrowhead isn't even that big," let me remind you that the Colosseum sat 50,000 people in an age before cranes, hydraulic lifts, steel, or plastic. Also let me remind you that the Colosseum housed a game even more dangerous than football: the Chiefs have neither swords nor lions, which makes the Colosseum slightly more hardcore.


And that's Jacque and I. We do not play football or have swords, but we are still pretty hardcore.
On Colosseum Day, we also visited the Tomb of the Unknown Solider, housed in a building with the Romans call the Wedding Cake. See why?


This is a view of Rome from the Wedding Cake:


This is what Rome is about: tiny streets, hills, and basilicas.
We also visited the Forum, where we got a tour from a Scottish guy. As part of that tour, I learned the story of the founding of Rome. If you want to know the full version, ask me, but the summary goes like this: Wolf-raised child chooses hill on April 21, 753 B.C. and puts a city on it because of vultures, then conquers most of the known world (which mainly consisted of...six other hills). Anyway, the Forum:


We finished our day off with some more churches (Rome is just crawling with churches) and a delicious Italian dinner. Have I mentioned the food yet? It was great. Great. I could eat in Italy every day.
On Wednesday, Jacque and I visited the Trevi Fountain. The Trevi Fountain is my favorite place in Rome. There's a legend about the Trevi Fountain that says if you throw a coin in, you are destined to return to Rome, so...

We also visited the Pantheon, which I personally think is over-hyped, and we did laundry (not at the Pantheon). Then we had a picnic and ate gelato. It was a good day. That night, we re-visited the Colosseum:

Lovely.
So that was Rome. We trained to Florence, and got in around sundown:


The next day (we are on Friday, March 27 now), we crossed Florence's river and climbed this large, steep, intimidating hill. This view was worth the climb, though:


On the left, you can see the Duomo (which translates as "dome," which tells you what to look at), and on the right you can see the mountain range that surrounds Florence.

Florence had a lot of street artists, and this one was my favorite:



They drew that with chalk. I was so impressed, I gave them money, which is probably what they were going for.
We saw Michaelangelo's David (no pictures allowed again...), and one of my favorite statues:


It's called the Rape of the Sabines. While it's a violent and tragic story, the statue is just amazing. It was innovative in its design, which is on a helix: when you look at it, you just keep walking in a circle around it.
On Saturday, we trained to Venice:



Venice has a lot of water. On the Sunday we were in Venice, there was even more water, because it poured all day. It was a little miserable:

Those are people standing on tables in San Marco Square. Apparently Venice floods on a regular basis, so they just keep tables ready for people to walk on. We didn't do much in Venice because of the rain, which was a shame, but we still enjoyed ourselves. We met some Americans from Vanderbilt in our hostel, ate dinner and gelato with them, so that was fun.
Thus ended our week in Italy. I learned that Italians really do the pursed-hand stereotype (picture a chef saying "Is-a good!" and that's the hand gesture I'm talking about); also, Italians sometimes make a large hand gesture and then forget about their hand, leaving it hanging in front of all the Smart Cars zooming down the street.
I also learned that Italians vendors are very friendly, and that they like to flirt with blondes, like Jacque. One vendor told Jacque, "Senorina! I look at you so long, I hurt myself! See, look at my knee..." Another told Jacque she dropped something, and when she looked back to see what it was, he placed his hand on his chest and sighed, "My heart."
Italy was a pretty amazing place to visit. Coming up next: Athens and Prague!

2 comments:

Adam said...

The helix form that the "Rape of the Sabine Women" takes on was an interesting innovation that eventually became a staple in Baroque sculpture. It's innovative not just for the perspective changes, but also because it was an attempt to make sculpture more engaging and realistic, by introducing a sense of movement.
Bernini's "Rape of Proserpina" and "Apollo and Daphne" are considered to be examples of this form perfected.
Good eye.

...Hooray Art Appreciation gen-ed.

Joy Mason said...

Jacque also took Art History, which means I now know a lot more about art!