Thursday, November 20, 2008

More about England

Just so you know, I tried to think of a catchy title and witty beginning for this post. I read quotes on imdb.com (mostly from Muppet Treasure Island, my movie-of-the-week), I scoured my iTunes for good song titles (I seriously considered "Mmmbop" and "You Can't Stop the Beat", mostly to get you playing the Song Game again), and I even Googled "quotes about England" (I discovered that no one ever said anything interesting about England). So, there is my title, and here is my beginning:

Let's talk about differences again. I have now been to three cities in England, so I feel like an expert...sort of.

By the way, the British are very particular about what kind of municipality can be called a city. Unlike the US, where any group of people can call themselves a city if they want (this is why New York is a city and so is Branson), the British only call a place a city if it has a cathedral. London is a city not because it has something like seven million people; it is a city because it has a cathedral. A place with seven people could be a city if it had a cathedral. (This may not be entirely true, but it's what British people tell me.)

And speaking of cities, here is another difference: English cities have buildings that look like this:


(The Bridge of Sighs in Oxford); and this:

(St. John's College chapel in Cambridge, which I visited this week! Jacque was there. I was happy).

Now, I love America, but we just don't have a lot of stuff like this that compares. The reason? America is new. In England, people talk about buildings and laws and roads and traditions that are "just" 200 years old. In America, 200 years is most of the country's existence. Because England is so old, the British think they invented everything. This is not true. The world must thank America for: the cotton gin; toilet paper (bet you didn't know that one); vacuum cleaners (which the British call Hoovers, presumably because Herbert Hoover cleaned up a lot (this is a joke)); the airplane; crayons; the chocolate chip cookie (they do acknowledge this one, as they call chocolate chip cookies "American cookies"); e-mail; the space shuttle; and peanut butter. What have the British contributed? Apple pie (I know! "American as apple pie" is not a legitimate saying! My world was rocked too!); table-tennis; and Stephen Hawking.

The age of the country means that everything here is taller, because, you know, older things just keep growing up. Like trees and people and buildings, apparently. Doorknobs, key entries, locks: all are at the level of my shoulders. I'm short, but I'm not that short (jokes from little brothers need not be told here).

So, age is one difference between England and America. Another, of which I have written before but to which I'm going to return, is language (that's really how some of them talk). They don't call the back of a car a "trunk"; it's a "boot". They go to the "cinema" instead of the "movie theater." They don't say "sketch" when something is weird. They say "trousers" for anything with legs, and "pants" for underwear. This particular difference is a very important one to note. Often, I have stopped myself from commenting on how the rain has made my pants wet, because that makes me sound like I walk around outside unclothed. Which I don't do.

One of my favorite differences in language is how the Brits greet you. In America, we say "How are you?" and respond with something like "Fine, thanks!" Here, they say "You alright?" and respond with "Yeah." This presents several cultural divide differences. For the first three weeks I was here, I thought I looked upset all the time because people kept asking me if I was alright. Also, sometimes when you ask a British person, "How are you?", they say, "Yeah." This does not make sense unless you know that they think you asked them a yes-no question.

Also, here in England, and especially in Oxford, the British have one hobby: being safe. Their favorite things to do are to pet (declawed) kittens, look both ways before crossing the street, and eat all their vegetables. They love to be safe! (This paragraph brought to you for the benefit of any parents who may be sending their children to England in the near future.)

Another difference between England and America is that America is home and England is not. I'll be honest, I've been homesick. But, I've gotten postcards from friends and a pretty awesome collage from the Ohio Masons, AND my parents sent me flowers!

Aren't they beautiful?

So I do miss home, and I miss you, but I love being here. I'm doing so much more than finding out differences: I'm learning to navigate a city on a bike; I'm figuring out how to do a lot of homework in not very much time; I'm making new friends; I'm learning how to boil water to make pasta; I'm memorizing songs by Chicago and Frank Sinatra; I'm even doing my own laundry! And those are all good reasons to be here, I think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaahahaha, thanks :) I can't imagine how much work you are doing; I really hope my next semester is not as hard as this semester, ug. PS I got my list of tutorials for trinity term--Feminist lit and Oscar Wilde. YAY!

Anonymous said...

ps that was from me, Madison, I am just horrible at getting these things to post.

Anonymous said...

you're short

Anonymous said...

-the little brother

megan kennedy said...

Joy, I just need to let you know that I love you.
That's all. At least all that's really important.

megan kennedy

Anonymous said...

Dad and I didn't know Stephen Hawking was British! We also don't know what the sketch comment meant - did you mean that the British DO say that for weird? We're confused. Also, please put your blog link in each email so we can just click on it - we're too old to remember how to get to your blog without it! Why are the doorknobs so high? We don't remember that from being there before. Are they attached to trees that are growing? The people were short like you when the buildings were built a gazillion years ago - why did they make the doorknobs so far off the ground? You should tell everyone about being on the crew team and rowing on the River Thames. Dad wants to know if you've had any opportunity to improve your rowing time. Also, most people over 30 don't know how to (or that you even can) respond to a blog so you might want to include step-by-step instructions for them. I think that's all. We love you and miss you and can't wait for you to come home!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I do love this blog, but thought I'd mention one thing. City status is granted by the Queen (and only by the Queen), usually doing several at once on a special occassion (3 for the Millennium and 5 for the Goldend Jubilee in 2002). Having a cathedral means you are a city automatically (except Rochester), which can lead to very small cities (such as Wells, of Bath and Wells diocese).