Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Favorite Things; or, Another Themed Post

Before you read this post, it may be necessary for you to watch this (from the best movie of all time):

In this post, I will talk about My Favorite Things, basing my comments off the lyrics of "My Favorite Things." Be excited.

Raindrops on roses: It rains a lot here, as you might imagine. Sometimes the rain is very annoying. My jeans get wet, my hair tangles, and my glasses need windshield wipers. However, I do love using my umbrella, and sometimes the rain means it's nice to stay inside by my warm radiator. Here is what it looks like right before it's going to rain:


This is at St. John's College in Cambridge.

And whiskers on kittens: When I am bored, I go to http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/. It's a website of pictures of cats with funny captions.

Bright copper kettles: Tea, of course! Everyone drinks tea like water here. I have learned that English teas are good, and Chinese teas are not. I have also grown to very much appreciate "Brew time" at Regent's. This is because "Brew time" has "biscuits," which means cookies. And man, do I love cookies:


And warm woolen mittens: Because seriously, who doesn't love 1) being warm, 2) wool, and 3) mittens? In addition to warm woolen mittens, I also love warm woolen hats, and warm woolen scarves, such as the one I'm wearing in this picture:


Please note that my warm woolen scarf is a Harry Potter Gryffindor scarf, which some of you may recognize... The people I'm with are Erin, Sabrina, and Marisol (who is on the far right. She goes to Cambridge, and came to visit this weekend!).

Brown paper packages tied up with strings: I got a package from my parents today! It had a Calvin and Hobbes book, and a Get Fuzzy book, and the comics! The British don't have funny pages (maybe because the British aren't funny...?), and even their political cartoons aren't that hilarious. So I was psyched to get funny things.

Cream colored ponies: Okay, this one is a stretch: people ride cream-colored ponies, right? Well, I don't ride any ponies, but I do ride a bike! It has been amazing. Instead of walking 25 minutes to college, I get there in 7 (I timed it). I now have more time for reading, writing, and (most importantly) napping. Here is my bike:


It is named "The Pink Ugly."

And crisp apple strudel: This leads me back to dessert. Oh, man, do I love dessert. I've mentioned Digestives before, and several of you wondered if I was eating laxative cookies. I am not. Digestives are regular cookies. There are four kinds: regular (which are delicious with peanut butter); milk chocolate (my favorite); dark chocolate; and Cadbury chocolate. They are delicious. I don't know why they have such an unappealing name as "Digestives." They should be called "Deliciouses" or something.

Door bells and sleigh bells: This one is super weak, I'm sorry. Bells make music. So do organs (told you it was weak). On Sunday, I travelled to London with my church group, and we went into a big Methodist hall. Here is the organ:


The people are in the picture to show you how big it is. The largest pipes are 32 feet tall, and there are 4,371 pipes. It was very impressive (side note: I saw this organ on November 23, and I wished Mimi could have been there to play it).

And schnitzel with noodles: Food! I also love food. My eating schedule goes something like this: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, snack. And I get two Thanksgiving dinners, which I'll tell you about in the next post. I've been to several good restaurants here. In Cambridge, Jacque and I went to a really good pub called The Flying Pig:


Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings: The geese here are different! This may sound obvious, but they don't have Canadian geese. They have Mother Goose geese! See:


I was so excited when I saw these. It was like all my childhood stories had been personified into a bird.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes: We get to dress up for Formal Hall every week, which is a lot of fun:
Sabrina, Joy, Robyn, Marisol, Erin.

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes: I find it hilarious that here, when it frosts, they get excited about the snow. They hardly even know what snow is! Silly Brits.

Silver white winters that melt into springs: Yeah, I've got nothing. I haven't been here for a winter or spring yet. I'll let you know what I think, though, no worries!

These are a few of my favorite things: Here are some more things that I like:

The Bodleian Library.


Insides of chapels, churches, and cathedrals. This is St. John's chapel (Daddy, I knew you'd like seeing the inside of a church!).


Hanging out in our flat in my pajamas. Erin likes doing that, too.
I also like comments on my blog posts. I hear from my parents that a how-to on posting comments may be useful. At the bottom of this post, there is a link that says "0 comments" or "1 comment" or something like that. Click on the link. Under the box that says "Leave Your Comment," type whatever you want. Below that, choose either "Name/URL," or "Anonymous." If you choose "Name/URL," then type your name in the box that comes up when you click it. Then click "Publish Your Comment," and the world will know that you are here (who can name the movie that quote comes from?).
So, when the dog bites (I miss my dog and cat), when the bee stings (...I miss bee-ing home?), when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorites things (including you!), and then I don't feel so bad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed and laughed...then I cried. Thanks for thinking of Mom/Mimi - she would have loved playing that organ! Who knows - maybe she did - she played several in Europe on all their travels. You are really amazing, Joy! I wish we were all there with you! You are definitely one of MY favorite things!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Joy Re Re, all your posts are wonderful, but this one for some reason brought a tear to my eye. You are such a super young woman, with many wonderful gifts. I am so honored to be your Dad. At some point in your life, you really need to consider writing as a profession. I love you and can't wait to see you Dec. 7th!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your dad! You should consider writing as a profession - you make me laugh every single post and you're so creative! I loved the theme of this one! Looks like you're having fun!!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you in your Gryffindor scarf! Q: why can't I print any of your pics? Every time I try to it just prints a blank page.I am a HUGE fan of Get Fuzzy and Calvin and Hobbes. Have you read any Pearls Before Swine comics? They are hilarious. Rachel:)

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'll comment!
Reading all of you guys' blogs makes me so excited to go to England next year... and so frustrated to be stuck here at Jewell for another semester!
But, I'm sure I'll be there before I know it. And... yeah, I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

HI SISSY!!!! I can't wait until you are home in FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then we can put up Christmas (and how course your home!!)

Anonymous said...

This is an incredible post, Joy...you are so CLEVER!! ...and entertaining!!! I enjoy reading about your adventures!

Glad you're coming home soon!

I may have to watch "The Sound of Music" now!!!