Saturday, October 4, 2008

In England

I made it! Unfortunately, my access to Internet is currently very limited, so I'll be unable to post often until Regent's Park College (that's where I'm going to school, by the way) figures something out for us. On the bright side, longer posts I get to write! On the downside...longer posts for you to read!

We left Kansas City on Wednesday, stopped in Chicago, and then flew a very long way into Heathrow, London. I couldn't sleep on the plane, so I watched a few movies and allowed my thoughts to drift to such important considerations as, "Greenland is really big, and it has a lot of ice," "I like alliteration!" and "On Ugly Betty, how do they do America Ferrera's braces?" It was a very long flight. Of course, I had the lovely Robyn (from Jewell) to keep me company (although she slept, jammy her (jammy is a Britishism I learned. It means "lucky," but only in the sense that "I wanted that but she got it.")).

Upon our arrival in Heathrow, we collected our 111ish pounds worth of luggage, and tried to walk with it. Then, an airport worker came up and was like, “You should put those on a trolley.” Except his accent was so thick, Robyn and I heard “You mpadgshpasdngipontolley.” Or something like that. He had to say it three times before we understood him. Once we figured it out, we got trolleys for our luggage. Have you ever pushed an airport trolley? It's kind of like trying to drive a Greyhound bus using only your nose. Or like playing MarioKart. Robyn and I nearly ran down at least eight people, and I definitely ran over my foot. Then this Scottish man showed us that the trolleys had brakes!

And then, yada yada yada, we ended up at Regent's in Oxford (by yada yada yada, I mean long queues, bus drive, taxi ride, crazy attack pigeons...). There, we joined Erin (also from Jewell), and we met David Harper, the bursar at Regent's. He is very nice and smiles a lot, especially for a British person.

More yada yada yada of food and driving and talking, and there we were at our house! We are on the first floor. Our second floor housemates are Hannah and Andy (married, Andy's a M.Th/pastoral student at Regent's), and we got to have tea with them on Thursday night. Turns out I like tea, who knew? Our third floor housemates are Martin and Bobbie (married with two girls, Martin's in the same program as Andy), and they have invited us for lunch tomorrow. They all seem quite nice.

In two days, I have learned that the British say literally a lot. Except it's "litrelly" and they never mean it. As in, "Joy and Robyn and Erin litrelly got here just this minute," when, in fact, we arrived six hours ago. Americans do this, too (Biden, anyone?), just not as often as the British. The British also don't smile much, with the exception of David Harper and some other Regent's people. Since I am a nice Mid-Westerner, I smile at everyone I meet on the street. The few Bristish people that accidentally smile back at me immediately get this look on their face that says, "Disregard that!! I didn't mean to be friendly!!" Which makes me want to smile at them even more.

So far culture shock hasn't set in, except for the fact that there are no clothing hangers to be found in the UK. Also, I've walked more in two days than I have in the past two years. I thought Jewell was good exercise, but that's nothing compared to here.

I get to talk to my family in ten minutes (yay!), so I'll end this post here. Tune in next time to hear stories of shopping, church, pubs, the Song Game, libraries, and more!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy! Do you live on the British 1st floor or the American 1st floor? Your post is hilarious. LOL:) We miss you at the library!

Anonymous said...

jammy you! wish i was there! glad to hear things are going well...

Joy Mason said...

Good point, I live on the American 1st floor!

Madison said...

Awww, you get to live with cute married couple! Everything sounds exciting! I can't believe it's mid afternoon there, I just woke up (so . . . tired . . .). I need to skype with you and gizmo with Jacque.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy -
I don't know if you remember me, but your mom emailed me this weekend and told me to check out your blog. You are an excellent writer and oh so witty!

Oxford is a wonderful place. I had the good fortune of visiting Oxford in about 1990 when I was Associate Dean of Students. I went with about 12 other staff at Jewell and Gary Phelps, the Vice President of Student Affairs at the time. Gary loved England and if I recall correctly, when he facilitated our trip, that was his 23rd trip there. He had a standing agreement with his travel agent that the agent would call him when airline tickets dropped to a certain price. The time we all went, we had about 5 hours to decide we were going in order to get the "deal" the agent had for us. We spent most of the week in London, but made a day trip to Oxford. The other trip I took that was special to me while I was there was to Wimbledon. It wasn't tournament time, but because tennis was my primary sport in high school and college, it was important for me to take advantage of the opportunity to go.

I hope you have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading your blog!

Sally Masters

Dyanne said...

One way you can judge how much I miss you, Joy, is by this: I am now so far behind on my e-mail I just found your original note and checked out your blog today! If you were here to help me, I would not be this far behind! ;) That's right, no new intern yet. :(

Your blog is great fun to read. And all the adventures you are having already! I am very envious - but also so happy for you! All is well here. The weather has been quite nice, sunny (well, not today) and cooler. I love it! Tomorrow is my birthday. We have been so busy; we may just stay home to "celebrate". That would be a treat right now. And my parents are coming to visit this weekend. Next weekend I am flying to Denver to see my sister and my nieces - a girl’s weekend! Oh, and Paige is up to 25 pounds now with two little sharp front bottom teeth!! Life keeps happening - and oh so quickly! Be safe, have fun, keep smiling (Yes, it does keep them guessing!!) Love, Dyanne