Monday, October 13, 2008

Where I live

I thought I would only post pictures of the place where I live (hence the title), but I've decided to post several other pictures as well (and keep the title).

This is the pile of clothes I brought. It doesn't look like much until you try to fit it into two suitcases. Then it's a lot. And then when you unpack, it doesn't look like much again. Go figure.


This is what my living room looked like while I was packing.


This is part of my room. It's the second incarnation of my room, as I rearranged today in order to get my computer closer to the six-inch-thick wireless stream that runs down the middle of the house.

This is another part of my room.

And this is how I dry my clothes. The English do not believe in convenience (among other things, like the French President, France, and normal-sized drinking glasses)(although they do believe in potatoes at every meal, which I support). We have no dryers, I have seen exactly...zero! water fountains in all of Oxford, and there are brand new water faucets in our house that separate the hot and cold water. I think this is why the English do not smile. (Actually, side story: a Brit told me that when you smile at people on the street, it is a sign of aggression. As in gorilla and chimpanzee culture. As in, "Grr, I'm going to attack you." No wonder they looked scared when I walked down the street.) (Side story number 2: Even though I make fun of them, I really do like the English and Scottish and Irish and Welsh and the random Canadians and Americans here. With this disclaimer, I release myself from all the negative effects of political incorrectness.)


This is our house. We live on the ground floor, which is nice, because we have zero flights of stairs to climb after walking all the way from college. It is true, we are lazy.

I live with these lovely people. The tall one is Erin, the blond one is Sabrina, and the one who is left who is not me is Robyn, and I am the one looks like me. This was taken after Formal Hall (formal dinner), which happens every Friday night.
I hope this short look into Where I Live has been instructive and interesting. More to come, including the stories I promised a few posts ago (shopping, church, pubs, the Song Game, and more!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy, I love your blog! How entertaining! Hopefully you'll begin to understand that British accent...just don't come home with it yourself!

No clothes dryer? Yikes!

No smiling? Wow.

Maybe they'd be happier if they could dry their clothes efficiently!

For your sake, I hope the food is better than it was when I was there. Beware of the ketchup...tastes like vinegar!

Anonymous said...

Oooo, ooo, ooo! I want to know everything! Especially curious to know how church goes there. I feel like everything I see I now think, "Is that something I should pack, no? What should I pack, and how many of this or that and which one of these should I take . . ." I think about packing a lot. Thus a question, I see you have hangers: prime-mark or from Joy's American closet? p.s. I got OOSC news, I can store my luggage there whenever, but I can't move in until the 9th I think. If your term and my term start at about the same time, maybe we can plan on being back in Oxford by the 9th!

sjm said...

Joy, this is Madison's mom. I have loved reading your blog and will continue. You've made me laugh and recall memories from a visit to England way back in 1977. We used to stand in line, any line, just to listen to the Brits. We'd count the bloodies - so they still use bloody as an adjective?